Love at first sight

I received Patek's magazine last week. As always I flicked through it without much interest with the intention to make the boooring modern art articles as painless as possible. As with all the other Patek magazines this one would end up in a special basket in my living room, with all the others right next to the sofa. Its main function none other than giving the impression that I actually am educated enough to appreciate modern art. Indeed, that magazine is a great way to fool guests into thinking that I actually give a horse's ass about modern art. Well, back to what matters... Little was I to know that those evil people at Patek with all their malice intentionally added the whole collection on a center fold. Like back in my youth, I found myself with both sides unfolded and staring at the pictures like it was a gentleman's magazine. Pathetic, considering they where just watches. Suddenly, up in the right corner... there she was! Wow, what a beauty! The 5124. White gold, champaign face, vintage look, manual, ultra slim, art deco look (...well yes, somethings I like). Breathtaking. Elegant. Something "50-Cent" would never own. Simply perfect.

First thing I did the very next morning was a visit to the closest Patek dealer and get better aquatinted with my "Poor Man's 10-days Tourbillon". Striking. No matter what people say Patek will always have something that others don't. Class. That it had a lot of. What was lacking on the other hand was finish. It was well bellow what you should expect from Patek, especially with the competition catching up in notoriety. I could mention over five "commercial" brands that have better finishes other than the mentioned in previous post L.U.C. and Lange. No mater, my intention is wearing it on my wrist the right way up. In that respect this Gondolo is simply something else. The price is also quite reasonable if you ask me at 14,500€. My only problem is the Rhodium treated white gold. Don't like that. As a mater of fact, I hate it. The patina Rhodium gets over time is simply awful. Even if it hardens the case it still scratches only with the friction of your shirt. This makes the edges and angles acquire a lighter tone due to wear. Under halogen spots this becomes a nightmare.

As usual with Patek, the platinum version could be introduced next year... will I be able to wait? Will it be just as balanced or better than this one? Not always the case with platinum Patek's though. Love the World Timer, can't stand the metallic blue on the 5070P and am not overwhelmed by the Annual Gondolo. I wonder if I manage to wait for next year's Basel Show.

Patek Philippe...

3 comments:

Velociphile said...

"Like back in my youth, I found myself with both sides unfolded and staring at the pictures like it was a gentleman's magazine."

Yep!

5124 for me too, but waiting for it in rose......

V

Speedmaster said...

Understated, and classy.

Ron Freeman said...

Of all the Patek Philippe's to be released in Basel, the Patek Philippe 5124 is the one which I admire the most, for many of the same reasons stated in this blog. I love it's Art Deco styling. Of the two, I like the yellow gold model more. The silvery opaline dial is very nice.